Saturday, December 1, 2012

Taking a Break for Christmas

To all my readers:  A very merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, and I hope any other celebration you undertake will be joyous and fun!

Last December I had just started blogging and still had a number of previously completed essays that I could put up.  This year that reserve is depleted, and I must compose a new piece every week.  I'm loving blogging--  but I'm also a mom of two and a full-time paralegal, and I need every spare minute between now and the holiday to get ready for it!

So I'm taking some time off.  But I'd like to leave you with these beautiful words about Mary, mother of Christ, from Rachel Held Evans' book A Year of Biblical Womanhood:

She is what made Jesus both fully God and fully man, her womb the place where heaven and earth meld into one.  At the heart of Mary's worthiness is her obedience, not to a man, not to a culture, not even to a cause or a religion, but to the creative work of God who lifts up the humble and fills the hungry with good things. . . 

One need not be a saint, or even a mother, to become a bearer of God.  One needs only to obey.  The divine resides in all of us, but it is our choice to magnify it or diminish it, to ignore it or to surrender to its lead.  p. 72


I wish you, in this holiday season-- so appropriately set at winter solstice, when in the midst of darkness the light comes-- an encounter with the living God.

Thank you all for reading.  I'll be back when the presents are opened!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and thanks for your blog.